The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 490
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
This is amplified from La Fora's Diary.
We travelled ... four leagues to a small ranch at the place called El
Atascoso where we camped. [On the next day] we travelled ten leagues,
generally south, although the road forms a semicircle, to escape the lagoon
formed by the Rio de la Trinidad, which during the whole day we kept
at our right, and two leagues away. After going four leagues in level
country, ... we crossed the arroyo de Calzones, which runs west and
empties into the Trinidad, and leaving behind the Paraje de los Horconsitos,
we forded that of El Pielago ... which flows in the same direction and
like that of Calzones empties into said river, both overflowing in rainy
seasons and flooding the six leagues between this place [evidently Los
Horconsitos] and the Presidio of San Luis de Ahumada, commonly called
El Orcoquisac. ... This Presidio is distant a league from the coast of the
Gulf of Mexico on the east, and five toward the south, where said [Trini-
dad] River disembogues, passing a fourth of a league west of the
presidio. ... All this country is full of lagoons which make it difficult to
explore the coast. These are' to the east, and it is therefore necessary to
make a detour of ten leagues to reach the sea.4
El Atascoso was situated' at the present Wood's Spring, about
three miles north of Liberty, which is twenty-one miles, by road,
north of Wallisville. This road still "forms a semicircle," to
keep on the high ground east of the Trinity flood plain and to
avoid Lake Charlotte and Lake Miller, which open out of the
Trinity immediately north of Wallisville.
This high ground east of the Trinity is, except in the imme-
diate vicinity of Liberty and at Moss' Bluff and Wallisville,
bounded by a rather abrupt descent, some distance east of the
river. At Moss' Bluff the high ground forms the immediate
bank of the river, with a slope away from the riverbank for
two or three miles to the eastward and then a less gradual rise
to the ordinary level of the prairie.
Below Liberty the Trinity makes two long reaches to the
east. The upper reach is at Moss' Bluff; the lower at Wallis-
ville. There are only two lakes east of the Trinity below Liberty,
Lake Miller and Lake Charlotte, which form a single body of
water; and there are in this area but three conceivable sites
for a settlement in the immediate vicinity of the river itself:
Moss' Bluff, the north bank of Lake Charlotte near the Cham-
bers County north line, which is where Miranda indicates that
the Orcoquiza village was located, and at Wallisville.
Wallisville is situated on relatively low ground at the lowest
practicable landing on the Trinity, on the immediate bank of
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/600/: accessed October 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.