The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 491
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
the river about five miles above its mouth, and on the penin-
sula formed by the last easterly bend of the Trinity on the south
and Lake Miller on the north. Lake Miller opens out of the
Trinity just above this last bend and lies nearly parallel to the
easterly reach of the river below the bend. This lake is about
a mile and a half long by half a mile wide, its length being
from west to east. Lake Charlotte opens out of the center of
the north side of Lake Miller and lies parallel to the general
course 'of the Trinity above the bend. It is a beautiful pear-
shaped body of water, about one and three-quarter miles long
and a mile wide, the larger dimension being from south to north.
Its northern shores are high, wooded, fertile, well watered, and
well drained. Near the margin of the high ground at its north-
western angle, it receives the water of Mac's Bayou, an ancient
channel of the Trinity, which flows near the foot of the bluff
and nearly parallel to the present course of the river, which
is separated from it by a low alluvial plain from half a mile to
two miles in width. The northern boundary line of Chambers
County is a short distance north of the north bank of Lake
Charlotte. Three or four miles north of Lake Charlotte, Spinks
Creek, a considerable stream, flows westwardly into the Trinity,
and about two and six miles, respectively, north of and parallel
to Spinks Creek are Shiloh Creek and Redmond Creek, which
also flow into the Trinity, the one above and the other below
Moss' Bluff. The land grants in this region date generally from
1831 to 1835,6 and the surveys indicate that there have been
no radical changes in the course of the Trinity since these were
East of Wallisville, at a distance of about one mile from the
landing, and at the base of the peninsula between the Trinity
and Lake Miller, the ground rises well above the neighboring
marsh. The bank of Lake Miller, elsewhere low and marshy,
is here from fifteen to twenty feet above tidewater, and there
are two hills half a mile to the eastward, occupied when last
seen by the present writer in 1912 by the Mayes and Middleton
residences, which are higher still. Southeastwardly from these
low hills, in the direction of Turtle Bay, the head of which is
distant about two miles in that direction, the ground again
falls away. Toward the south the entire region between Turtle
Bay and the river is a sea-cane marsh.
5See files in General Land Office at Austin.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/602/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.