The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 492
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
One of these low hills east of the high bank of Lake Miller
was undoubtedly the spot where Fr. Abad rebuilt the mission
of Nuestra Senora de la Luz in 1759, and the final site of the
presidio was no doubt on the other hill. The earlier sites of both
were likely about a half-mile westward and near the south bank
of the lake. Nowhere else on the east side of the lower Trinity
do the topographical and geographical features of Fr. Abad's
and Dr. Bolton's descriptions concur, and these are verified by
La Fora's calls for distance to Atascosito and to the immediate
If for Arroyo de los Calzones, one reads Redmond Creek, and
for Los Pielagos, Shiloh Creek, Los Horconsitos must have
been in the immediate vicinity of Moss' Bluff. The advantages
of that site for an establishment intended to command the lower
Trinity River are such that it could hardly have escaped con-
sideration when that purpose was in mind. Discrepancies in
the calls for distance to Los Horconsitos, as made by La Fora
and Martos y Navarrete, make it useless to attempt to establish
its more exact location from the information at hand. It is not
without significance in this connection that Moss' Bluff is the
traditional location of Lallemand's short-lived Napoleonic col-
ony called Champs d'Asile. Los Horconsitos could hardly have
been elsewhere than on or near the same site.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/603/: accessed May 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.