The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Early Times in Comal County
March he negotiated with Rafael C. Garza8 and his wife, Maria
Antonio Veramendi Garza, for the purchase of a tract con-
taining two leagues of land including "Las Fontanas," as the
Mexicans called the numerous springs of the Comal River,
and stretching west from them along the San Antonio-Nacog-
doches Road and Comal Creek. The consideration was five hun-
dred dollars cash and the payment of six hundred and eleven
dollars upon the successful termination of a suit in favor of
Garza and his wife to clear the title to the land. The deed was
signed by Garza and his wife on March 15, 1845.9
In describing the tract of land and recording his impressions
of it, Prince Solms wrote:
Here [at the Guadalupe] the land which I bought for the Adelsverein
begins. On the right bank of the Comal Creek, which flows through it,
lies a fertile prairie which reaches south to a ridge of hills. On its left
bank some richly-wooded bottom land stretches to the cliffs, which are
covered with cedar, oak, and elm trees. These cliffs, with the hills rising
gradually back of them toward the north, resemble the Black Forest.
Through the bottom land flows the Comal River, which, gushing out of
the rock in seven large springs, shortly reaches a width of twenty paces
and, becoming larger and larger, rushes along like a swift mountain
stream. It is very deep and its water is clear as crystal.10
On March 16 Prince Solms left San Antonio for Seguin,
which he reached after a day's ride and where on the next day
Nicolaus Zink and Jean J. von Coll arrived with thirteen men
of the mounted company.1 The well-earned rest of nearly a
day served Prince Solms in good stead, and on the evening of
March 17 he and a few men rode six miles up the Guadalupe
from Seguin and camped there over night. On the eighteenth
he forded the Guadalupe at the place where the San Antonio-
Nacogdoches Road crossed the river. Three days later, thirty-
,Rafael C. Garza was clerk of the Bexar County District Court at that
time. (See Bexar County Minutes County Court, 1-A, 52.)
"For the Articles of Agreement by which Prince Solms acquired this
tract of land, see Comal County Deed Record, E, 58. See also Biesele, Ger-
man Settlements in Texas, 118, footnote 17, for information on suits filed
by the Veramendi heirs to gain back possession of the tract. In ibid., 117,
appears a sketch of the Comal Tract. In Die Cypresse und Gesammelte
Schriften, 115, Hermann Seele, its author, says that Johann Jacob
Rahm, a Texan of Swiss birth, called the attention of Prince Solms to
10Translated from "Berichte" in Kalender, 61.
11This mounted company was organized in January, 1845, in camp at
the Agua Dulce, or Chocolate Creek, about twelve miles from Carlshafen
(Indian Point), and consisted of twenty men. (See "Berichte" in Kalender,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/93/: accessed October 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.