The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948 Page: 168
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
olic Church, at a rent of $150 per month, January 1, 1850, to con-
tinue in force during the pleasure of the United States; when given
up, the improvements to revert to the lessor. The lot is rented from
S. A. Maverick9 of San Antonio, at $2o per month, for ten years
irom Oct. 1, 1851, "should the Government require it that length
of time." The terms of these two leases are considered highly favor-
able. The buildings and premises are admirably adapted to their
purposes; the storage for supplies is ample and secure, and by the
workshops, stables, storerooms and offices, being thus brought to-
gether, a stricter vigilance can be exercised over the public interests
by the officer in charge (whose own residence adjoins the establish-
inent) than it would be possible for him to exert under a less com-
The operations of this depot in all its branches are on the most
extensive scale, and too much praise cannot be awarded to Bvt. Maj.
Belger for the order and judicious economy introduced into every
department. His books and accounts are kept with the utmost neatness
and accuracy, quiet and subordination prevail in the workshops, and
the most scrupulous attention is paid to the preservation of the
public property. No less than eight stations (Forts Martin Scott,
Mason, Chadbourne, McKavett, Inge, Clark, Ewell, and Merrill)
order their quartermaster stores wholly from this point, and supplies
are occasionally furnished to ten others, viz. the depots at Austin,
Indianola and Corpus Christi, Forts Croghan, Graham, Worth, Bel-
knap, Phantom Hill, Duncan and McIntosh. To do this requires a
large amount of transportation. Independent of the post teams proper
and hired means occasionally resorted to, fifty-two wagons driven by
citizen teamsters are constantly employed in transporting public
supplies from the coast to San Antonio, while seventy-two wagons,
also belonging to the depot, driven by soldiers detailed from the
acquiring title to all church buildings, missions, and adjoining lands in the Repub-
lic and petitioned Congress to that effect. His petition was enacted into law on
January 13, 1841. Odin worked in Texas for more than thirty years. Promoted to
Archbishop in 1861, he went in 1869 to attend the Vatican Council, where he
became ill. He died in his native village on May 25, 1871. H. H. Clarke, Lives of
the Deceased Bishops of the Catholic Church in the United States (3 Nols.; New
9Samuel Augustus Maverick was born in Pendleton, South Carolina, on July 28,
1803. One of the outstanding figures in early Texas, he was a guide in the storm-
ing of Bexar in December, 1835, a signer of the Declaration of Independence in
1836, a prisoner of Perote in 1842, a member of the Seventh and Eighth Texas
Congresses, the convention which framed the Constitution of 1845, and the Seces-
sion Convention in 1861, which received the surrender of the fifteen army posts
in Texas by General D. E. Twiggs. Maverick was one of the largest landowners
in Texas; he, with R. A. Howard, owned the site of Fort Clark and a large portion
of the Alamo property and Fort Chadbourne. Mary A. Maverick, Memoirs (San
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948, periodical, 1948; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101119/m1/210/: accessed November 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.