The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948 Page: 214
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The trustees were keenly interested in the advancement of
the school, and they had a vision of the founding of a first-class
college. In 1863 they adopted an elaborate set of "laws" for
the government and operation of the school, covering such mat-
ters as the courses of study, admission requirements, candidates
for advanced standing, student conduct and discipline, duties
and tenure of professors, and the length of recitations. "Unless
otherwise ordered by the faculty," recitations were to be of one
hour's duration, a portion of which time should be devoted to
reviewing "the recitation of the preceding day." It was the duty
of professors, the rules said, "not only to communicate a given
amount of knowledge" to their students, but to "incite in them
an ardent love of learning and virtue." The law on tenure stated
that professors were elected "for life or during good behavior,"
and although the board of trustees had the right to "dismiss"
a teacher who was "unfit" or who had "failed to discharge faith-
fully his duties," no professor should be dismissed "without an
opportunity of a hearing and regular trial before the Board of
Coeducational colleges in the United States began with Ober-
lin, in 1833, and the number increased slowly in the next quar-
ter of a century. There were only twenty-odd such colleges in
the country at the close of the Civil War, and none of them
were in Texas. Waco University began a new chapter in Texas
education when, in 1865, it became a coeducational college.
Concerning the state's educational policies, Dr. Frederick Eby,
the authority on the history of education in Texas, says:
In many respects the most potential change following the Civil
War was the adoption of coeducation by the higher institutions.
This new policy of teaching both sexes together in college classes
was first accepted by the trustees of Waco University upon the rec-
ommendation of President Rufus C. Burleson in 1865.7
Since coeducation was a new commodity and the institution's
Baptist rival, Baylor at Independence, was organized along tra-
ditional lines, the Waco University authorities felt impelled to
justify the system and to advertise the advantages of coeducation.
elbid., April 15, 1863.
7Eby, Development of Education in Texas, 284.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948, periodical, 1948; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101119/m1/282/: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.