The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 52, July 1948 - April, 1949 Page: 376
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
the country's postal system. There is contrast in the manner in
which it passed into the hands of private enterprise here, yet
taken into the government in England. The student of history
and the general reader will find in the book many hundreds of
informative, interesting, and memorable facts: the close connec-
tion betwen the railroads and the telegraph, the rise of the Asso-
ciated Press, the impressions of Andrew Carnegie at the time he
worked as a messenger boy, the tension over the laying of the
Atlantic Cable, and many, many others. The author has done an
excellent work, tracing in detail the history of the telegraph, but
at the same time he has ably written the story of a whole era of
Dr. Thompson is to be commended for his scholarly, well-
organized, and entirely readable history. The book is handsomely
made, amply illustrated with fifty-four plates, many maps, and
text figures. Of particular interest is a series of fifteen appendices,
mostly copies of business contracts, the study of which is reveal-
ing. There is a satisfactory index.
CHARLES F. TARD
New Mexico Military Institute
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 52, July 1948 - April, 1949, periodical, 1949; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101121/m1/385/: accessed November 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.