The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 52, July 1948 - April, 1949 Page: 444
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes ald DOcuMICHts
. . Freeman's Report oH tlhe fihth Alltary
Edited by M. L. CRIMMINS
The journey from Fort McIntosh to Fort Duncan, i io miles N. W.,
was accomplished in four days. The country traversed is most un-
promising. It is scantily watered, and will probably always remain a
XII.-FORT DUNCAN- (Inspected July 27, 1853.)
This post is situated on the Rio Grande, in latitude 280 42' 13"
North, longitude 1oo 1' 48" West, 145 miles W. S. W. of San Antonio,
with which it has a weekly mail communication. Immediately above
and separated from it only by a deep ravine, is the settlement or town
called Eagle Pass, in which there are three or four stores for the sale
of goods principally adapted to the Mexican market. This place con-
tains some eight or ten tolerably good buildings and the same number
of mud hovels occupied by the lower order of Mexicans, with a popu-
lation of from 80o to loo, of whom not more than twelve or fifteen
are Americans. Within the last three years a military colony has been
established on the Mexican side of the river opposite to the post.
It is called the Colony of Guerrero, and the site, Piedras Negros.
The town consists of adobe and mud houses and has about 450 in-
habitants. There is another military colony 18 miles above at Mon-
clova Viejo, called the Colony of Moral. In both of these colonies a
small number of Mexican troops (from 30 to 1oo) have usually been
stationed, but recently they have been moved into the interior, or to
points lower down the river. There are two ferries near the post and
in low stages of water the Rio Grande is fordable half a mile above.
From the extreme dryness of the seasons, it has been found useless to
attempt to cultivate the soil in the vicinity.
The site of Fort Duncan has not been purchased or leased by the
government, but recently a proposition has been made by the Quarter-
master's Department to the proprietor, Mr. Twohigs of San Antonio,
-68A native of County Cork, Ireland, John Twohig, owner of the sites of Fort
Martin Scott and Fort Duncan, was a merchant in San Antonio. He was captured
during General Adrian Woll's raid on San Antonio in September, 1842, and was
confined in Perote Prison. He escaped from Perote on July 2, 1843, and returned
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 52, July 1948 - April, 1949, periodical, 1949; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101121/m1/453/: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.