The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 202
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
V. . rema's Report oH the eighth military
Edited by M. L. CRIMMINS
From Fort Inge it was necessary to return to San Antonio to refit,
preparatory to commencing the tour of the Northern posts of the
department. The distance, 86 miles E.N.E., is three days travel over
a fine natural road and well watered country. Several considerable
streams are crossed on the route, which passes by Fort Lincoln, now
abandoned. Of these the principal are the Frio, Sabinal, Seco, Hondo,
Medina, and Leon, distant, in the order named, 7, o20, 33, 47, 61, and
79 miles, from Fort Inge. Farm houses begin to appear after crossing
the Seco, near which there is a small German settlement, called
Dhanis. Twelve miles beyond is the Hondo, and between this and
Castroville, on the Medina, many extensive fields of corn were passed.
Castroville is a thriving place of some 8oo inhabitants; and within
the circuit of a few miles there is, probably, an equal population. The
valley of the Medina as you approach Castroville presents a scene of
picturesque beauty that is rarely excelled in any country; in the fer-
tility of its soil, it cannot be surpassed.
I left San Antonio August 1Ith to inspect the northern chain of
posts, and reached Fort Martin Scott, distant 65 miles, a few degrees
to the west of North, August 13th. The intermediate country is finely
watered and very diversified in appearance, much of the route being
over bald mountainous ridges. The Cibolo was crossed at 31 miles,
and the Guadalupe at 46 miles from San Antonio. This last is a clear,
swift stream, with steep banks, and was about 6o feet wide and two
feet deep at the ford; but it is often swollen as to be impassable.
XVI.-FoRT MARTIN ScoTT- (Inspected August 13, 1853.)
This post is on a small stream called Barron's Creek, which empties
into the Pedernales, a branch of the Colorado. Two miles West is
Fredericksburg, a German settlement of between 8oo and 900 inhab-
itants, and where there is a post office. The mail comes weekly by
Austin, and there is also a weekly express communication with San
Antonio. The buildings put up are of a better description than at
most of the posts in Texas. The site belongs to Mr. Twohig of San
Antonio. It is believed no rent is paid for the land, but the owner
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/250/ocr/: accessed October 23, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.