The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 203
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
has received a considerable sum for fuel and timber cut, and the
improvements will belong to him when the troops are withdrawn.
This station is now kept up as a forage depot for trains supplying
the upper posts. The garrison consists of a Sergeant, a Corporal and
16 men of the 8th Infantry, under Lt. Theodore Fink97 of that regi-
ment who has been in command since October 1, 1852. A sergeant
and five men of the detachment are on extra duty; the remainder
serve as a guard. The men are variously equipped. Some with the
ordinary percussion musket and others with the Maynard primer
musket, black belts and white belts are intermixed; some are destitute
of parts of their equipment; one was without arms; and almost all
had a very limited supply of clothing. They have not received much
instruction and made but an indifferent appearance on parade. The
quarters were in good order and due attention seemed to be paid to
the preservation of the other public buildings.
An Ordnance Sergeant is stationed here but there is little for him
to do, the only Ordnance at the post being a 12 pd'r. mountain
howitzer, with less than loo rounds of fixed ammunition and 33
pounds of powder.
No citizens are employed and no purchases are made except of
forage and small quantities of charcoal for the smithery. There are
9oo bushels of corn and 50 tons of hay on hand. The corn was pro-
cured at 50 cents per bushel, the hay at $4.90 per ton. There is a
considerable quantity (21,000 feet) of lumber lying in store, which
might be used at the more advanced frontier posts with much advan-
tage to the comfort of the troops. Lt. Fink's accounts were in order,
and had all been seasonably rendered.
Provisions are obtained from the San Antonio depot. Some 3,ooo
rations were on hand and they were in good condition. The cost of
the ration delivered at the post is 171/2 cents. No parts of it could be
bought on advantageous terms in the vicinity. On account of the
smallness of the command, fresh beef cannot be obtained. It is sold
generally at 5 cents per pound.
Neither an Asst. Surgeon nor a Hospital Steward is attached to the
command, but there is a considerable quantity of hospital stores at
the post. These were brought from Fort Gates when that post was
o9Lieutenant Theodore Fink, born in Germany, was breveted second lieutenant
on January 28, 1848, and was promoted to captain on December 31, 186o. He died
on May 3, 1861. Heitman, Historical Register of the United States Army, I, 419.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/251/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.