The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 254
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
8ox5o feet with eight classrooms and two assembly halls to be
completed by the first Monday in July, 1852.
On June 24, 1851, the cornerstone was laid in a colorful cere-
mony. The Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas assisted by the Royal
Arch Chapter had charge of the ceremonies. Judge R. E. B.
Baylor as chaplain of the Grand Lodge delivered the invocation.
Because of the intense heat, General Sam Houston held an
umbrella over Reverend Samuel McKinney as he delivered the
dedicatory address. In the cornerstone were placed a copy of the
charter of Austin College, a history of the admission of each state
into the union, a copy of Washington's farewell address, names
of state and federal officials, specimens of currency of the original
thirteen states, and other items.24 Such were the tangibles that
went into the cornerstone; among the intangibles were the hopes
of the founders and friends of Austin College.
2Wallace, "History of Austin College," M.A. Thesis (1924) Austin College
Library, 83-85; see also an article by Mae Wynn McFarland in the Huntsville Item,
March 6, 1941.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/330/: accessed August 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.