The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 319
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents 319
average $250. The cost of the entire ration with transportation added
is 20o/4 cents.
MEDICAL DEPARTMENT- (Asst. Surgeon W. W. Anderson.)
The present building is of logs and is indifferently suited to its pur-
pose, but a substantial stone hospital has been commenced, which, if
finished as designed, will leave nothing to be desired. The medical
stores were good and the hospital record daily kept. From an exam-
ination of these last (and judging also from the number of men (22)
on the sick report the day of the inspection) an unfavorable opinion
would be formed of the healthfulness of the climate. In the year
ending June o30, 1853, there were 1,577 cases of disease for a mean
average strength of 194 men, or about 8oo per cent-the prevailing
diseases being intermittent fevers, diarrhoeas, and dysentery. The
mean yearly temperature was 64 o6-the highest monthly mean being
81 11 (in August) and the lowest 450 48 (in December). The
quantity of rain that fell in the year was 28.67 inches, of which more
than half was furnished in September, October, and June, and only
1.66 inches in December, January, and April.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/395/: accessed February 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.