The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 24
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Operations were begun on the Rio Grande, personal differ-
ences arose, the Texas commissioner withdrew from the work in
May, 1859, and Clark did the surveying. On June 8, 1860, Clark
arrived at the point where the one hundredth meridian as de-
termined by Jones and Brown crossed the Canadian River. He
retraced their line and prolonged it to its intersection with the
parallel of 360 go'. While Clark was observing for the deter-
mination of the parallel in order to establish the northeast corner
of Texas, the surveying party continued the meridian up to the
southern boundary of Kansas. The work was completed by June
20. The one hundredth meridian, as fixed by Clark on the survey
of the southern boundary of Kansas in 1857, fell about 1,700
feet west of that forming the boundary line between Texas and
the Indian Territory as determined by the surveys of Jones and
Brown, and Clark. On August 25, Clark turned southward at the
Canadian River, retracing the one hundredth meridian to its
intersection with the main branch of the Red River.11
The secretary of the interior on January 16, 1862, directed
that the work of the boundary surveys be terminated at once
without reference to its unfinished condition.12 Clark unwillingly
complied, leaving the office work incomplete and maps unfin-
ished. Thirteen years later most of the line surveyed by Jones
and Brown, and Clark was re-established by three United States
surveyors. Under contract of June 6, 1873, C. L. DuBois re-estab-
lished, in 1875, the one hundredth meridian from Red River
north, a distance of thirty-one miles. He found that the line
surveyed by Jones and Brown had a large bearing to the east.
Under contract of June 23, 1873, H. C. F. Hackbusch re-estab-
11In retracing the one hundredth meridian Clark found that some of the monu-
ments had been washed away or destroyed by buffaloes. He wrote: "The old bulls
tear them up with their horns, and but few mounds or hillocks of any kind can
be seen within their range that do not bear evidence of the wallowing of their
shaggy heads and necks. ... These artificial monuments may be put up with
great care of the most lasting material, yet the chances are that all traces of many
of them will be swept away in a few seasons; for besides their destruction within
the buffalo range, the wild Indians will certainly tear down all they meet with,
particularly those made of stone, which will not give them so much trouble as
the earthen mounds. The maps with the note-books are the only real and lasting
record of the boundary." By the use of maps and notebooks the boundary could
be identified readily by surveyors without the use of monuments.
12Commissioner N. C. McFarland to Senator S. B. Maxey, January 5, 1882, House
Reports, 47th Cong., Ist Sess., V (2o69), No. 1282, p. 6.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/42/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.