The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 474
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
H. BAILEY CARROLL
ON January 19, 1950, the Association offices were moved
from Garrison Hall to new quarters in the Eugene C.
Barker Texas History Center, located in the Old Library
Building on the west side of the campus of the University of Texas.
The building has been completely redecorated and refurnished,
and the Association has been allotted an excellent suite of offices
on the main floor. A few days later Dr. Barker moved into his
new quarters also on the main floor of the building. The second
floor and the stack area which housed the main library of the
University until the present Main Building was completed in
1936 have been set aside for the Texas and Archives collections of
the library. These units will be moved before the end of April,
when the formal opening of the building will be held as a part
of the Annual Meeting of the Association beginning on April 27.
There is every reason for all members of the Association to
take great pride in the new quarters which the University has
provided, and it is hoped that as many members as possible will
visit the office and inspect the entire Barker Center. All members
of the Association are most cordially invited to attend the formal
opening ceremonies on April 27 as well as to drop by at any
convenient time either before or after that date.
There will be a tea in the building in the afternoon of April
27 and a dinner to follow at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel. Dr.
Herbert P. Gambrell, vice president of the Association, will be
the dinner speaker and J. Evetts Haley will be master of cere-
Do not miss this year's annual meeting.
Under the leadership of Brigadier General H. Miller Ains-
worth a state-wide "Remember Goliad Campaign" has been
launched under the sponsorship of the Daughters of the Republic
of Texas. The purpose is to restore Goliad State Park. Contri-
butions to this worthy enterprise should be sent to Goliad Cam-
paign Headquarters, Goliad, Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/580/: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.