The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 48
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
southern states in advocating the nomination of Woodrow Wilson
in 1911-191, some of the most powerful opposition to various
parts of' the Wilsonian program in 1913-1917 came from Texas
leaders such as Henry, McLemore, and Callaway. This opposi-
tion, however, was spasmodic and individualistic; the delegation
usually went down the line in support of the "New Freedom."
While other states sometimes overshadowed the average Texas
congressman, the Lone Star State delegation provided two im-
portant committee chairmen and furnished a battery of veteran
representatives who chairmaned less-important committees and
made up the largest congressional delegation from the region
that controlled the Federal government during one of the most
distinguished reform periods in American history. Charles Cul-
berson, Robert Henry, Morris Sheppard, and Sam Rayburn were
able participants in the legislative drama of Wilson's time, while
representatives like John Stephens and William Slayden were
Texas prototypes of the conservative and steady southern Demo-
crats who supported the Wilsonian legislation to fruition.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/66/: accessed January 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.