The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 76
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The men occupy two buildings constructed of upright poles,
chinked up, with thatched roofs. These, besides being insufficient,
are in a wretched state of delapidation. Part of the troops also live
The Regimental, post, and company records were kept with atten-
tion and neatness.
The only post Ordnance is one mountain howitzer.
QUARTERMASTER'S DEPARTMENT--(2d Lt. H. C. Ransom, Acty. Asst.
The means of transportation consist of four six-mule wagons and
teams and eight pack mules. The other property on hand is not of
much value. The building used as a storehouse is in a decayed con-
dition. Corn can be obtained at the post for 60 cents per bushel, and
hay is delivered by contract at $8.95 per ton. Not a pound of corn
or oats was in store. The guide and interpreter at the usual rate ($40
per month) is the only citizen employed. Lieut. Ransom's accounts
SUBSISTENCE DEPARTMENT-(2d Lt. H. C. Ransom, Acty. Asst.
There were only ten days provisions on hand, but an additional
supply was momently expected. The contract price of fresh beef is
71/2 cents per pound. The cost of the ration 19 cents.
MEDICAL DEPARTMENT- (Asst. Surgeon T. M. Getty.)
The hospital was in good order and well regulated in every depart-
ment, and the stores were of the best quality.
The principal diseases during the past year were intermittent fever
(85 cases), scurvy (22), and diarrhoea (9). The Whole number of
cases treated was 189. The maximum height of the thermometer dur-
ing same time was 980, and the minimum 18. The greatest average
temperature for a month was in August, 820 64, and the least in Jan-
uary, 490 98. The quantity of rain which fell during the year was
36.43 inches-9 inches having fallen in June, and 6.82 in July.
XV.-CAMP NEAR FORT INGE- (Inspected August 4, 1853.)
First Lieut. J. N. Ward98 with Company A, 3d. Infantry, was en-
camped half a mile S. E. of Fort Inge. This company was detailed
in 185o as an escort to the Mexican Boundary Commission and has
remained on that service until recently, when it was relieved by an
order from the Commander of the 8th Department and directed to
join the Regimental Head Quarters in New Mexico. Lt. Ward was
engaged in making the necessary preparations for the march which
he expected to commence August loth and to finish by Sept. 15th.
osJames Noble Ward graduated from the Military Academy in 1845. He was
breveted first lieutenant on April 18, 1847, at Cerro Gordo. He died on December
6, 1858. Ibid., 1ool.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/94/: accessed August 15, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.