The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
The Company numbers 75 men, seventeen of whom are at Fort
Fillmore, New Mexico, the Regimental Head Quarters. Ist Lt. Ward
and Bvt. 2d Lt. R. V. Bonneau94 are the only officers on duty with it.
The absent officers are Capt. A. W. Bowman,5 not joined since his
promotion, June 6, 1852, believed to be settling his accounts in Wash-
ington, and 2d Lt. D. C. Green,8 on detached service at Washington
since March 26, 1853.
The clothing worn was the undress of the old pattern. It was neat
and, generally, well fitted. The arms and accoutrements were in su-
perior order. Percussion muskets with "Maynard's primer" were used,
and Lt. Ward thinks highly of this arm. Some slight modifications of
the Manual laid down for the ordinary percussion musket are neces-
sary for those having the primer lock, and such modifications ought
to be prescribed.
Lieut. Ward gives strict attention to the discipline and instruction
of his command, and the men were better set up than most of the
foot troops inspected during my tour.
94Richard Vanderhorst Bonneau graduated from the Military Academy in 1852.
He resigned from the United States Army on March 2, 1861, and served as major
in the Confederate States Army from 1861 to 1865. Ibid., 2go.
95Andrew W. Bowman graduated from the Military Academy in 1841. He was
breveted captain on April 18, 1847, at Cerro Gordo, and became a lieutenant
colonel in the Thirty-first Infantry on June 6, 1867. Ibid., 234.
esDuff C. Green graduated from the Military Academy in 1849. He resigned
from the United States Army on December 31, 1856, and served as quartermaster
general of Alabama in the Confederate States Army from 1861 to 1865. Ibid., 473.
(To be continued)
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 53, July 1949 - April, 1950, periodical, 1950; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101126/m1/95/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.