The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 213
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
Fort Inge is one of the old line of posts stretching across from
Eagle Pass towards Red River just at the edge of the settlements
-it is situated on the high road from San Antonio to Eagle Pass &
near the point where the road to El Paso leaves it, protecting the
travel on both roads. A lease cannot be procured for a longer term
than five years & it is not worth while to erect buildings there for
that time or to put expensive repairs on those that exist. In a few
years it will not be necessary.
The three posts last mentioned are in the vicinity of a fertile
country already furnishing a large quantity of corn & in the midst
of fine pastures.
Following up the El Paso road from Fort Inge you probably lose
the streams & timber & on the last of the former when about entering
the desert that borders the Pecos River, on the head of the Creek
Los Moras, is Fort Clark a post established last year. This is the last
post until arriving in New Mexico.
On taking command of the Department two years since my first
duty was to examine the frontier in advance of all the posts & settle-
ments & having concluded the task I selected the sites of the line
of outer posts, from the Rio Grande to Red River. Considering
Fort Clark as the commencement of the line, the next going north-
wardly is Fort Terrett on the head spring of the principal branch
of the Llano river-there is no wood or water beyond this in the
direction of the great prairies sufficient to sustain a post. The country
on the river is fertile but yet uninhabited, wood, grass & material
for building abundant (except shingles-) water unfailing-Next to
this is Fort McKavett on the head spring of the San Saba similarly
situated to the other. We then cross the Concho river-the main
branch of the Colorado; it heads some distance out to the westward
but a part of its head would be thrown too far forward & in advance
of the rest of the line. A position having every necessary requisite
was selected on the north branch, but the officers successively in
command were dissatisfied with it & delayed making preparations
for the winter until it was so late that the site was removed to a
more covered and wooded point thirty miles further north on Oak
creek a branch of the salt fork of the Colorado-Here Fort Chad-
bourne is established-The country is fertile but uninhabited with
good suppy of wood water and grass. Travelling about N. N. E. you
fall on the head waters of the Clear fork of the Brazos river which
interlock with those of the salt branch of the Colorado, & following
down one branch, at its junction with another, is the post at Phan-
tom Hill-The water here is not good and timber for building must
be brought from a distance-the soil is fertile the grass good but the
counu y uninhabited-Continuing down the stream you cross to the
Salt fork of the Brazos & before the two branches meet you arrive
at Fort Belknap on the former. This site was already selected by
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/285/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.