The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 229
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Rear Admiral William L. Mann has an article on the family
of John Berry, pioneer gunsmith and miller of Williamson Coun-
ty, in the June 16, 1950, issue of the Williamson County Sun. A
veteran of the War of 1812 and of Indian fighting under General
William Henry Harrison, including the famed battle of Tippe-
canoe, where Chief Tecumseh was slain, Berry came to Texas in
1826 as one of Sterling C. Robertson's colonists. Eight years later
the Berry family moved to Bastrop. Here, on his way to the
Alamo, David Crockett stopped to have his gun repaired by
Gunsmith Berry, who welded a silver band across the break.
After the Texas Revolution, Berry settled in Williamson County
on a land grant made by the Republic. Berry Creek and Dry
Berry Creek, which travelers today cross north of Georgetown
on United States Highway 81, were probably named for John and
Joseph Berry, whose land was near the mouth of the stream.
The Association is compiling a list of complete or reasonably
complete files of the Southwestern Historical Quarterly for pub-
lication in the Texas Collection in the future. A postcard or note
from any individual or library owning such a set will be greatly
appreciated. Send the communication to Box 2131, University
Station, Austin 12, Texas.
C. C. Jeffries of Winkler, Texas, is known to practically every
member of the Association who is at all regular in attendance at
the annual meeting where he is probably the most thoroughly
Texan person in attendance. In his research Mr. Jeffries spares
no pains in order to get every detail exactly right. He would like
to hear from all readers of the Quarterly who have information
concerning the first capitol in Austin. What materials were used
in the building? Particularly, was the structure erected of logs
or sawed plank? Information should be sent directly to the
A part of the history of any area must consist of a recognition
of the natural resources available together with a consideration
of the uses to which the resources are put. The South Texas
National Bank of Houston has rendered the entire state a service
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/305/: accessed January 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.