The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 16
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
admired greatly. It was during this stay in Holland, where he
boarded in a home, that he made paintings in exchange for the
playing of the piano by a beautiful young Dutch girl.
He returned to America before the summer of 1889 was over.
About this time he made his first trip into West Texas in an
ox-drawn wagon. Apparently he had definitely chosen the long-
horn and the western landscape as his subjects for painting. On
this and succeeding trips he made sketches of longhorns, the
western prairie, and the mesas, which formed the basis of his
About this time he began annual exhibits at the Texas State
Fair at Dallas. In 1889 the Art Department of the fair gave him
a ribbon for Honorable Mention. These exhibits continued
down to recent times. In ten or twelve of the years he won the
first award for art at the fair. Through his membership in the
Western Art Association he began soliciting other artists to make
exhibits at the fair, and by 1903 he was able to get exhibits
from the Eastern artists.
In 1890o the Reaugh family moved from the Terrell farm to
Dallas. The family located at lo8-11o East Eighth Street, just
south of Lake Cliff. At that time there was no construction
between the residence and the city of Dallas proper on the
opposite bank of the Trinity River. The only building which
could be seen from the home was the courthouse.
The father engaged in carpenter work in the house building
which was beginning in Oak Cliff. He died several years after the
Reaughs moved to Dallas, and the mother died still later. Reaugh
lived the rest of his life in substantially the same area.
On the back of the lot on Eighth Street he soon erected a
shed-like building from sheet iron. On it was bestowed the
poetic name of "Ironsides." To a casual observer it appeared
to be a rusty building thrown up much in the fashion of the
huts built during the depression by squatters just outside the
present levee along the Trinity. Inside there was a section which
constituted his bachelor quarters with a connecting studio hous-
ing his exquisite paintings, and to one side was the mechanical
shop in which he carried on his experiments and inventions,
including a pump.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/38/: accessed February 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.