The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 402
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
and the Littlefield Dormitory were completed. President Bene-
dict carried through the erection of no less than twenty buildings.
Under the administration of President Rainey the University
entered with enthusiasm into war work (cooperation with Wash-
ington in World War II) through the training of young men
and women and the development of the resources of science. To
avoid loss of time, instruction was extended to cover the whole
year, and the engineering laboratories were operated twenty-four
hours a day. The campus was filled with men in uniform. Special
war research agencies were organized. More than one hundred
members of the faculty were given leave of absence for war work.
In 1944 warfare of a different sort broke out. Differences with
the regents led President Rainey to appeal to the people in an
address listing sixteen charges against the board, of which the
most important was violation of freedom of teaching and aca-
demic tenure. The board responded by the removal of the pres-
ident from office. A great number of the faculty sided with the
president, but 132 members issued a vigorous denial of the main
charge. The matter, becoming notorious, was taken up by certain
college associations, and dissatisfaction with conditions at the
University was expressed in one way or another. After a year or
two, however, conditions were held to have become better and
the University was given a clean bill of health.
President Painter's watchword is Research: the distinguishing
mark of a university, the indispensable basis for promotion in
rank or salary, a necessity to the public welfare.
Chancellor System. After long study, the Board of Regents in
1950 revised the administrative setup of the University, which
had been expanding so rapidly since 1940, and created the office
of chancellor. The chancellor is to coordinate the activities of
all the branches of the institution: the Main University; Texas
Western College in El Paso; the Medical Branch in Galveston;
the M. D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research, the School of
Dentistry, and the Postgraduate School of Medicine, all in Hous-
ton; and the Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. The Hon-
orable James Pinckney Hart, former member of the Supreme
Court of Texas, was elected the first chancellor in July, 1950, and
assumed his duties on November 15, 1950.
Army, Air Force, and Naval Training. Established as one unit
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/542/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.