The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 408
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
tory Center is housed a notable collection of paintings of the
Texas cattle country by Frank Reaugh of Dallas, presented by
the artist, and Frederic Remington's famed cavalry charge, a gift
of Miss Ima Hogg. Scattered through the buildings are many
oil portraits of University worthies. The portrait corridor on the
second floor of the Main Building contains no less than twenty-
one such paintings, several by artists of renown. A rich collection
of paintings and minor works, given by Mrs. Miriam Lutcher
Stark in 1926, has for want of a proper building not yet been
Student Life. The Student Association, of which all students
are members ipso facto, was formed in 1902 to train students in
leadership by self-government. Officers are elected in the spring
and the fall, and elaborate campaigns are much in evidence. At
first the association undertook to maintain the honor system on
examinations. As the University grew in numbers, the system
became more and more difficult to enforce until the association
asked to be relieved of the responsibility. The honor system is
now in force only in the Law School. In early days the Rusk
and Athenaeum literary societies were quite active in cultivating
declamation, essay writing, and debate among men students. They
even had special rooms assigned for their use. Later came the
Ashbel and Sidney Lanier literary societies among the women.
There were early efforts in dramatics, but it was not until 19o09
that Stark Young with the Curtain Club put this activity on a
permanent basis. Interest in music came out in the Band and
Glee Club under the leadership especially of Dr. Eugene P.
Schoch and Dr. Daniel A. Penick. As these subjects made their
way into the curriculum, naturally student initiative became less
Fraternities appeared on the campus during the University's
first years; sororities were not established until 1902. The Activ-
ities Handbook of 1950-1951 lists thirty fraternities and eighteen
sororities with a total membership of over 3,500. The majority
of these groups have large and luxurious residence houses scat-
tered throughout the University area. The number of other stu-
dent organizations is prodigious; the current Activities Hand-
book lists 253. Many of them center their activities in the Union
with the result that even this great building is uncomfortably
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/550/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.