The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 411
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A Concise History of the University of Texas
and Mechanical College established and opened in 1876 in Brazos
County was made a part of the University by the Constitution of
1876 but has always been under a separate management. For
some years the legislature made small grants to the college from
the University Fund. The situation was changed by the discovery
of oil on the University lands, and the University regents agreed
to turn over to the A. and M. directors, beginning with 1934,
one-third of the income of the Permanent Fund other than the
proceeds of grazing leases; the regents retained the management
of the fund. The building bond issue voted in 1930 providing
four million dollars for the University carried also two million
for the A. and M. College; that voted in 1947 provided ten mil-
lion for the University and five for A. and M. Gibb Gilchrist is
chancellor of Texas A. and M.
Texas Western College. The University began instruction
in mining in 1902, but gave it up when the legislature in
1913 established the School of Mines and Metallurgy at El Paso
under the control of the University regents. In 1919 the school
became the College of Mines anrd Metallurgy and was made a
branch of the University of Texas. The work offered grew less
and less technical, and in 1949 the legislature changed the name
to the Texas Western College of the University of Texas. Dr.
Wilson H. Elkins is president of the El Paso college.
Ex-Students Association. The Alumni Association, established
in 1885 for degree holders, changed its basis of membership and
its name in 1914. Its headquarters are in the Texas Union-Com-
mons building on the campus. Besides cultivating the memory
of student days by March 2 banquets the Association has been
of great service to the University, notably in bringing the Uni-
versity home to the people, in procuring legislative appropria-
tions, above all in coming to the rescue in time of crisis when
the integrity of the institution was under attack. Not to name
the living, former students like R. L. Batts and Will C. Hogg
are to be counted among the great benefactors of the University.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/555/: accessed April 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.