The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951 Page: 70
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Aff//airs o/the ssociatio
THE Fifty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Association
opened on April 27, 1950, with one of the most mem-
orable events in the history of the Texas State Historical
Association, the formal opening of the Eugene C. Barker Texas
History Center. The Center, occupying the beautiful structure
known on the University of Texas campus since 1936 as the Old
Library Building, provides spacious, permanent quarters for the
University library's extensive collection of Texas books and
archival materials as well as for the offices of the Texas State
Historical Association. The building, designed by Cass Gilbert
and completed in 1910o, has been partially remodeled to fit pres-
ent needs and completely redecorated and refurnished.
The first event of the formal opening program was the pres-
entation to the University of the Frank Reaugh Collection of
paintings. Dudley K. Woodward, Jr., chairman of the Board of
Regents of the University, presided at the meeting. The collection
was presented to the University by Roy C. Ledbetter, of Dallas,
representing the Reaugh estate, and received in the name of
the University by C. Read Granberry, assistant to the president.
Will Alexander, also a trustee of the Reaugh estate, spoke briefly
on the collection.
Reaugh, who had provided in his will that his collection of
paintings should go to the University of Texas, is best known
for his cattle scenes in West Texas. The pictures hang in a special
section designed expressly for that purpose in the main reading
room of the library on the second floor of the Center.
Following the presentation, the entire building was opened
for inspection. The Vandale Collection of Texas books was dis-
played for the first time. The books, purchased by the Univer-
sity for the Barker Center, occupy approximately one-third of
one stack floor in the library.
Although there was no formal receiving line, Dr. and Mrs.
Barker, Judge and Mrs. Woodward, University President T. S.
Painter, and members of the executive council of the Association
and of the Board of Regents of the University met guests in the
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951, periodical, 1951; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/m1/92/?rotate=270: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.