The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952 Page: 164
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Both supposedly sprang from the same republican theories of
government; neither was purely democratic in practice; and the
Mexican practice was frequently at wide variance with the Anglo-
American. On the local scale the same amalgamation existed,
and it is the purpose of this paper to trace the evolution of the
local units of government from the Mexican municipalities to
the well-defined constitutional counties of the last years of the
Republic of Texas.
The final legal structure of local government under Mexico
had been the result of a series of decrees enacted by the Monclova
deputation in 1834, together with the earlier ordinances regu-
lating municipalities and the provisions of the Constitution of
Coahuila and Texas.' Essentially the state of Coahuila and Texas
was in 1835 divided into seven departments; three of these de-
partments, Bexar, Nacogdoches, and Brazos, were in Texas. The
whole of Texas and Coahuila was in the military zone of the
Eastern Interior Provinces and, at the end of the Mexican re-
gime, under the command of Martin Perfecto de C6s. Thus at
the department level of government there co-existed military
and civil authority, each department having a military and a
political chief. Within each department were municipalities, and
within some of the municipalities were additional districts.2 In
accordance with provisions of the law of April 6, 1830, military
posts had been established at several points in the state under
the immediate supervision of the department military com-
mandant. Local government in Texas was little affected by the
church; all of the missions had been secularized, and there were
no well organized parishes outside Bexar. Such church authority
as there was originated at the diocese headquarters in Nuevo
Leon. Land offices, agents, and commissioners acted directly un-
der the authority of the state government, and the judicial sys-
tem was in 1835 in a state of flux partially because of the new
but unimplemented judicial law.
1How effective the implementation of the later decrees had been is problem-
atical. Doubtless Henry Smith, appointed political chief of the Department of
Brazos, lost little time in acting in his official capacity; apparently Thomas Jef-
ferson Chambers, appointed to organize the new judicial system, never effectively
put this decree into operation.
2Thus the District of Alfred was a part of the Municipality of Austin, and the
District of Tenehaw was a part of the Municipality of San Augustine.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952, periodical, 1952; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101139/m1/210/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.