The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952 Page: 486
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
heads, was made in 1864 on the A. B. Moody tract of 260 acres
in the William M. Kern survey; in that same year more relics
were plowed up on Christian Henry Haines' 32o acres in the
William M. Patton survey. Later other relics were found on J. H.
McDugald's property in the Kern survey.
Of the original tract belonging to C. H. Haines, about 102
acres were later acquired by T. C. Duke and afterwards by Varney
Allen. On this land one of the largest springs in East Texas flows
from a crevice in the east bank of Mill Creek. It was immediately
east of this spring that most of the broken gun barrels, lead balls,
arrowheads, the copper cross, the silver coin, and other relics
were found. The cross was located about a hundred yards east
of the spring at a point about thirty feet south of Mill Creek
and about 250 yards east of a high hill on the west. The coin and
the cross are presumed to be of Spanish origin because of their
In their pitted, eroded condition it is not possible to make
positive identification of the fragments of gun barrels. No gun
locks are extant and may have been destroyed or carried away.
One flintlock hammer and one iron spring which might have
come from a lock were found. Since only the large portions of
the octagonal barrels remain, it is possible that the locks as well
as the remainder of the barrels and the gunstock have disinte-
grated as a result of long burial. Nearly all the fragments of
barrels were about the same diameter, being one and one-fourth
inches across the breech and tapering toward the muzzle to pos-
sibly three-quarters inch. The longest fragment is fourteen inches
in length and weighs two pounds. Another piece is thirteen and
one-half inches long and weighs one and one-fourth pounds.
Other fragments range from two or three inches in length to six
or eight inches or more. Attached to the top of the breech of each
barrel is a projection, or tang, about one and one-half inches
long and five-eighths inches in diameter. The barrels seem to
have been smoothbore, although again their long burial makes
it difficult to determine whether they were not at one time rifled.
The gun barrels and the lock hammer have been tentatively
identified as eighteenth century flintlocks, possibly of French
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952, periodical, 1952; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101139/m1/590/: accessed July 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.