The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952 Page: 520
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
had the honor of serving as headquarters for the military district
of which Texas was a part.
There was much dissension over the establishment of a per-
manent post at San Antonio. It was argued that the city was not
centrally located for supplying other forts and was not in the line
of railroad construction. After the passing of three different ap-
propriation bills by Congress, work was finally begun on Fort
Sam Houston. By that time the railroads were coming through
The acquiring of additional land and the construction of new
buildings was necessary to meet the needs of the growing fort.
From the establishment of the post to the Spanish-American War,
Fort Sam was the headquarters of the Department of Texas and
the home of many different regiments of infantry, cavalry, and
artillery. The fort was one of the main bases for the training of
units for participation in the Spanish-American and World Wars
I and II. Many illustrious commanders were stationed at Fort
Sam Houston, such as General John J. Pershing and General
Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Miss Handy relates many interesting facts and stories about
early life on the post, such as the experience the Apache Indians
had with the Quadrangle clock. It is satisfying to note that,
throughout her book, she stresses the good relations enjoyed
between the military and civilians.
Several errors were noted in the first part of the book. The
first Spanish mission was founded at the head of the San Pedro
Creek and not at the head of the San Antonio River; the battles
of Rosillo and Salado and the Dawson Massacre were not fought
within the limits of Fort Sam Houston. General Winfield Scott
was the commanding general of the army on March 25, 1846,
and not secretary of war; Colonel Robert E. Lee commanded in
San Antonio in 1856, not 1846, although he was stationed in San
Antonio at the earlier date; Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston
commanded in 1855, not 1845, and Camp Wilson was the former
name of Camp Travis.
Although certain errors have been made and certain pertinent
facts omitted, The History of Fort Sam Houston is a creditable
piece of work, and Miss Handy is to be congratulated for pre-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952, periodical, 1952; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101139/m1/630/: accessed March 22, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.