The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952 Page: 62
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
,ife add Utes il AlbuqucrqK, rexas
ROY SYLVAN DUNN
AT a point in the Hewell pasture, about seventeen of the
twenty-five air miles from Seguin to Nixon, the Post Oak
Belt-which extends in a five hundred mile crescent
downward through Texas-opens into a gently sloping prairie.
This prairie of mixed soil, covered with broomweeds, needle,
mesquite, and sage grass, and a young growth of mesquite trees and
prickly pear, lies parallel to, and southwest of, the sand-banked,
willow-lined Clear Fork of Sandies Creek. It is about three hun-
dred yards inside the Gonzales County line1 and two miles south
of the Gonzales, Wilson, and Guadalupe counties' junction.
It was upon this site about 1912 that William M. Magee, a
real estate agent, had fire set to an assortment of wooden
structures that had been deserted and decaying since 1883.2 This
act was a belated coup de grace for the town of Albuquerque,
Texas. Today, only a pecan tree, planted in 1865,3 a water well,
and a scattered assortment of metal and glass objects, including
molten metal, a breast chain, a wagon kingbolt, part of a Spanish
bridle bit, a wine bottle stem, a broken whiskey jigger, a stove
door, a Barlow knife, square headed nails, and an empty cartridge
case,4 survive as evidence of the village.
xUntil a survey in 1914 by Wilson County surveyor W. T. Sutherland, this site
was believed to be in Wilson County. The surveyor's field notes (on file in the
General Land Office, Austin, Texas) state, in part, that "... the lines as run and
described above takes into Wilson County residences of Tieken, W. O. Pat [t] illo,
Hans Pat[t]illo and [B. W.] Day and part of Will Magees land heretofore thought
to be in Gonzales County and leaves in Gonzales County J. B. Hewell and the
McCracken Sisters who hitherto claimed Wilson County. ." Since 1914 the land
in question has passed from J. B. Hewell to his son J. A. Hewell.
2A letter from C. L. Patterson, January 15, 1950 (MS. in the Archives, Univer-
sity of Texas Library) states that he remembers playing in these buildings with
neighborhood children soon after their abandonment. A signed statement of T. C.
Hewell, August 1, 1950 (MS. in the Archives, University of Texas Library) indi-
cates that Magee burned the buildings shortly before J. B. Hewell, T. C.'s father,
bought the place in 191a.
4In a signed statement dated October 2, 1950 (MS. in the Archives, University
of Texas Library), Donald Morgan identifies this cartridge case as a 44/40 Win-
chester Repeating Arms Center Fire. Morgan states that the case has been worn
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 55, July 1951 - April, 1952, periodical, 1952; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101139/m1/84/: accessed May 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.