The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 103
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
The names John Snyder, Isaac O. Headley, J. M. Froman, and
James H. Sewell appear on the petition asking for the formation
of a county in this unorganized area.' All four filed settlers'
claims for 32o acres of land each, which according to law would
place their residence on the land before February 14, 1854-
The John Snyder Survey and the James H. Sewell Survey are
both near the trace of the old Fort Worth-Fort Belknap road.
Military supplies were hauled along this road from Fort Worth
to Fort Belknap beginning in 1851. In places the road varies as
much as a half mile in width.
Isaac O. Headley and J. M. Froman had settled adjacent to
each other about four miles south of the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap
road. Their cabins were on opposite banks of the Clear Fork
near the mouth of Squaw Creek, a left-hand prong of Clear Fork.
Old Man Woody was Samuel Woody, Sr. He was one of the
early settlers of Parker County; his son Samuel Woody, Jr.,
settled on Deep Creek in Wise County. Samuel Woody, Sr.,
filed a settler's claim for 32o acres, which was granted to him on
Ash Creek, about five miles north of the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap
The Fort Worth-Fort Belknap road entered Parker County on
high ground between Silver and Mary's creeks.2 The course of
the road ran slightly northwest until it crossed into what is now
Palo Pinto County. Just over the line in Palo Pinto County are
traces of the road.3
The John Snyder Survey4 is on the waters of Clear Fork and
by horseback or buggy would be about one day's travel from
Fort Worth. Traces of the road can be seen close to this survey.
Proof of heirship of John Snyder is recorded in Book 32, page
409, Deed Records of Parker County. His descendants were last
known of in Brown County.
1Original petition in Archives, Texas State Library.
2Parker County map dated 186o in the General Land Office shows tracing of the
road through Abst. 2484 Thompson, H. J. File 9050 Parker County. While this land
was not surveyed until years later, it is indicated by tracing on the 186o map.
8Visible by tracing out Fort Graham-Fort Worth road to where it forks from
Fort Worth-Fort Belknap road. The field notes in Abst. 1332 T. E. & L. Parker
County File 2661 definitely locate the Fort Graham-Fort Belknap road, and the
trace of this leads into the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap road which is there discern-
ible on the ground.
4Abst. 1170 Snyder, John. File 2215 Parker County. General Land Office.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/121/: accessed October 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.