The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 126
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The Association now has a membership list totaling 1,821 as
compared with 1,757 last year. No special membership drives
have been conducted during the year; however, the membership
has continued to increase. This is particularly interesting because
in glancing through the reports of other state historical societies,
it has been noted that the membership in many cases has de-
creased in spite of concentrated membership drives. The Asso-
ciation has taken advantage of every opportunity to welcome
new members but has not conducted an intensive campaign.
In an article in the January 2, 1952, issue of the Dallas Morn-
ing News, Association member Wayne Gard points out that the
Middle West, as well as the Old South and the border states,
played its part in the development of leaders and pioneers in the
Southwest. Natives of Illinois, who later became Texans, from
Charles Goodnight and the founders of the XIT Ranch to H. L.
Hunt of Dallas, at present the nation's largest independent oil
producer, are included in the article, along with Artist Frank
Reaugh, Trail Driver Joseph G. McCoy, and the publishers of
the Dallas Times Herald.
The February, 1952, number of the Pacific Historical Review
has an article on "Precursors of American Investment in Mexican
Railroads," written by Association member Frank A. Knapp, Jr.,
which will be of interest to students of the history of Texas rail-
roads as well as those of Latin America. In the years following
the Civil War agents of American railroads drifted into Mexico
to promote rail enterprises; among these initial entrepreneurs,
whom Knapp discusses, are John C. Fremont of the Memphis,
El Paso, and Pacific; Colonel Thomas A. Scott of the Texas and
Pacific, later president of the Pennsylvania Railroad; and Edward
Lee Plumb, of the International Railroad of Texas.
Addenda to the recent information on the "Twin Sisters," has
been noted by Andrew Forest Muir of Daniel Baker College in
Brownwood. Muir writes that E. N. Clopper has an article on
the cannon in Bulletin of the Historical and Philosophical So-
ciety of Ohio, X (January, 1952), 39-41.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/144/: accessed May 21, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.