The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 131
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Adair, present curator of the museum. The item has been placed
in the Barker Texas History Center.
The Association has received an attractive, well-illustrated
booklet entitled Methodism in Seguin: 184x-1951 published by
the First Methodist Church of Seguin. Written by Mrs. Willie
Mae Weinert, Association member, Junior Historian co-sponsor,
and local historian, the sixty-seven page brochure is an inter-
esting addition to the church history of the state. The item has
been placed in the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center.
The Bulletin of the Business Historical Society for December,
1951, has an article by Carlos E. Castafieda, professor of history
at the University of Texas, on "The First Chartered Bank West
of the Mississippi: Banco Nacional de Texas." According to Pro-
fessor Castafieda, the Banco Nacional de Texas, the first chartered
bank west of the Mississippi and the first institution of its kind
in Mexico, was established on October 21, 1822, by a decree of
Governor Jose Felix Trespalacios, political chief of the Province
of Texas. A bank only in a limited sense as it had no stockholders,
no capital, and no charter, the Banco Nacional de Texas issued
11,837 pesos and four reales in handmade bills during its three
months of operation. Documents relating to the bank are in the
Bexar Archives of the University of Texas Library.
Volume IV, Number 2 (Summer, 1951) of the Library Chron-
icle of the University of Texas contains two articles of interest
to Texas historians. "A Mexican View of the Texas War: Memoirs
of a Veteran of the two Battles of the Alamo," written by Uni-
versity Archives Translator Helen Hunnicutt, consists of Josh
Juan Sanchez Navarro's account of the two major encounters
between the Texan and Mexican forces in San Antonio de Bexar
in 1835 and 1836. Contents of Sinchez' index to his records kept
during his term as adjutant inspector of the Departments of
Nuevo Le6n and Tamaulipas and a plan of the Alamo including
a map are appended. An exhibit of some of the work of the late
Colonel John W. Thomason, Jr., Texas marine, writer, and artist,
held in the Rare Books Room of the University of Texas Library
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/151/: accessed May 21, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.