The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 143
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
MISSION LA PURISIMA CONCEPCION DE ACUNA. Located on Mission
Road, south of Mitchell Street. The best preserved Texas mission,
dating from 1731. Open daily 9 to 5. Admission, adults 25c, children
MISSION SAN FRANCISCO DE LA ESPADA. Located about ten miles
south, off Mission Road. Established on this site in 1731. A fortified
tower at the corner of the restored barracks makes this the best ex-
ample extant of a mission fortress.
MIsSIoN SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO. On Mission Road, about eleven
miles from the city. Established 1731, rebuilt 1907. An excellent ex-
ample of a typical mission establishment. Open daily.
SAN FERNANDO CATHEDRAL. On Main Plaza between Galan and
Trevino Streets. Dating from 1738, it incorporates the oldest parish
church building in Texas. King Ferdinand of Spain designated it a
royal chapel in 1744. The Cathedral Museum in the rear is open 9
to 5:3o weekdays.
SAN JOSE MISSION NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE. Located on U. S. 281
within city limits. Administered by National Park Service, Texas
State Parks Board, and Catholic Diocese of San Antonio. The chapel,
noted for its carved window, and the granary and old mill have all
been restored. Open daily 9 to 6. Admission, adults 35c, children 16c.
SPANISH GOVERNOR'S PALACE. 105 Military Plaza. Owned and ad-
ministered by the city. The official residence of the Spanish governors
of Texas. Carved in the keystone over the entrance is the Hapsburg
coat of arms and the date 1749. Restored; contains original furnish-
ings. Open weekdays 9:30 to 5, Sundays 2:30 to 5. Admission 12c.
CAPILLA DE SAN ELIZARIO. Facing the old plaza. Located on paved
road three miles west of Clint, which is twenty-one miles southeast of
El Paso on U. S. 8o. The presidio of San Elizario (not a mission)
was established in 1682. The present chapel building dates from 1877
and resembles the California mission churches in architectural style.
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE PARK. Three miles east of Sealy on U. S.
9o; forty-seven miles west of Houston. Owned by the State of Texas;
administered by Texas State Parks Board. Preserves the original site
of the Austin Colony, headquarters for Anglo-American settlement
in Texas. Austin's home, a log cabin, has been reconstructed.
MISSION LA PURISIMA CONCEPCION DEL SOCORRo. Three miles south
of Ysleta on a paved side road; fifteen miles southeast of El Paso.
Founded in 1683 following the Pueblo Revolt in New Mexico. The
present modern church contains carved beams from one erected early
in the 19th century.
SAN MIGUEL CHURCH. Located north of the Plaza. Although twice
rebuilt the church includes portions of the structure erected in 1598.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/163/: accessed May 25, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.