The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 377
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Shawnee Trail
Baxter Springs and Coffeyville important shipping points for
a time. An arm of the old route, called the West Shawnee Trail,
led up the Arkansas River. Some drovers who followed it cut
off north to Junction City. More went on to Wichita, where
they reached the Chisholm Trail and turned north to Abilene
In the spring of 1873 the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad,
pushing south along the Shawnee Trail, reached Denison, Texas.
There the Daily News had glowing prospects for the town as a
cattle shipping point. "The driving to Kansas is about at an end,"
it predicted. Denison did ship many cattle that season. Yet most
of the experienced drovers stuck to the hoof-marked trails, which
offered cheaper transportation. Some went past Denison and up
the old Shawnee Trail to Baxter Springs or Coffeyville, part of
the time within view "of the new railroad. But nine-tenths of
them took their herds up the Chisholm Trail.
By that time, grass again was reaching across the path that un-
counted Longhorns had beaten to make the Shawnee Trail. This
historic route was giving way not to the Iron Horse but to the
westward push of nesters who did not want Texas cattle to
trample their crops and infect their own stock.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/449/: accessed September 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.