The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953 Page: 552

This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Southwestern Historical Quarterly and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association.

View a full description of this periodical.

Zreyas Collectio
H. BAILEY CARROLL
DISTINGUISHED Professor Walter P. Webb, executive
council member and former director of the Association,
was honored at a special program on November 26 in
the University of Texas Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center.
Sponsors of the event were the University of Texas History De-
partment, Texas State Historical Association, Ex-Students' Asso-
ciation, Texas Philosophical Society, Texas Folklore Society,
Texas Institute of Letters, Phi Beta Kappa, and Phi Alpha Theta,
national honorary history fraternity.
For the success of the program special credit should be given
to Association fellow Joe B. Frantz who organized and pre-
sided at the affair. Dr. Frantz was ably assisted by Misses Winnie
Allen and Llerena Friend. Tributes were paid to Professor Webb
as a citizen, a scholar, a colleague, a teacher, and an author by
James P. Hart, chancellor of the University of Texas; Frank H.
Wardlaw, director of the University of Texas Press; Eugene C.
Barker, professor emeritus of history at the University; Frederic
Duncalf, professor emeritus of history at the University; and
E. C. Barksdale, professor of history at Arlington State College.
Professor Webb's latest book, The Great Frontier, was pub-
lished on December 8. Other works have included The Great
Plains, The Texas Rangers, and Divided We Stand. He was editor
of the Southwestern Historical Quarterly from 1938 to 1946 and
was editor-in-chief of the Association's recently-published Hand-
book of Texas.
Earl Vandale, executive councilman, fellow, and former presi-
dent of the Association, died at Rochester, Minnesota, on Novem-
ber lo, 1952, and was buried in his home town of Amarillo, Texas.
During a twenty-five year period he collected one of the largest
private collections of Texana in the country; this magnificent
collection of books was purchased by the University of Texas
and is housed in the Eugene C. Barker Texas History Center. A
short biography of Vandale and a check list of two hundred titles

Upcoming Pages

Here’s what’s next.

651 of 766
652 of 766
653 of 766
654 of 766

Show all pages in this issue.

This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.

Citing and Sharing

Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.

Reference the current page of this Periodical.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953, periodical, 1953; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/m1/650/ocr/: accessed July 30, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.