The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954 Page: 160
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
to be of higher caliber than either the women imported or the
local women who attached themselves to the enemy.
William Jewell College
The Association has received Early American Gunsmiths, by
Henry J. Kauffman, a volume which will prove of interest to
those persons tracing the history of early Texas firearms. Published
by the Stackpole Company, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the book
includes a list of American gunsmiths active from 1650 to 1850o.
The author authenticates each smith with excerpts from news-
papers, government records, and dated specimens of his work.
Naturally the gunsmiths active in Texas during this period are
limited to one or two persons; however, the book will be of value
in the identification of the multitude of firearms that were
brought into the state. Mr. Kauffman has done an admirable job
of compiling the extensive list of gunsmiths, but some rather im-
portant omissions were committed. Simeon North, who made
federal contract muskets and pistols, for example, was not in-
cluded. The volume is well illustrated, but no cross index is
H. FREDERICK YOUNG
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954, periodical, 1954; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101152/m1/182/?rotate=270: accessed November 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.