The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954 Page: 396
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
entitled The Story of Castroville, well written and fully illustrated
with interesting and historic pictures.
O. K. Harlan of State College, Pennsylvania, recently called
in the Association office seeking information on the Harlan
family genealogy and history. Mr. Harlan would be interested
in hearing from any person who has information which might be
included in the next edition of the Harlan family history. He
may be addressed at State College, Pennsylvania.
The Union of South Africa is reaching all over the world to
fill gaps in its State Archives. South African archivist, Dr. C. F. J.
Muller, who may be addressed at South African Embassy, Office
of Press Attache, 817 Dupont Circle Building, Washington,
D. C., is in charge of American research and has asked for the
full story of South African-Texan contacts and relationships.
On June 15, 1953, the San Antonio Public Library observed
its fiftieth anniversary with the publication of These We Have
Garnered. The work gives a listing of the library's books on
Texana dated from 1811 to 19o4.
Guido E. Ransleben spoke to the San Antonio Historical Asso-
ciation in the Alamo Hall on September 18, 1953. His topic was
"Comfort, Texas, and the Union Monument."
New light will be shed upon the early, tumultuous history of
the University of Texas through the papers of Dr. Leslie
Waggener, Sr., its first president, recently acquired by the Asso-
ciation. This gift came from Mrs. Leslie Waggener, Jr., of Dallas,
wife of the late Leslie Waggener, honorary president of the Asso-
ciation and chairman of the Ways and Means Committee. The
senior Dr. Waggener was a native of Kentucky who served in
the Confederate Army and became president of Bethel College at
Russellville, Kentucky. He was elected professor of English litera-
ture and history when the University of Texas faculty was organ-
ized in 1883. In 1884 he became chairman of the faculty, a
position which he held for ten years. When the position of pres-
ident was created, Dr. Waggener was the first to fill that post,
serving until his death in 1896.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954, periodical, 1954; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101152/m1/475/: accessed April 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.