The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954 Page: 431
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
German-American Newspapers in Texas
ficient time to begin an exchange of newspapers with the Volks-
blatt, only one complied with the practice.
Stork's constant bickering and clashing with his German fellow
editors did not help to promote his newspaper. He had edited a
journal at Fredericksburg before his association with the Volks-
blatt, and the objections raised against the establishment of a
German language paper in Dallas may have been a polite way of
saying that, with Stork as editor, the enterprise would end in
failure. The Volksblatt Publishing Company saw the difficult
situation that was developing and informed Stork that the paper
could not prosper under existing conditions. Stork thereupon
purchased the paper on February 21, 1877, and in turn sold it
to Keller, Grossman, and Company.
The Volksblatt was gradually re-established on a firmer foun-
dation with Henry Keller as editor. In December, 1877, Keller,
Grossman, and Company sold their interests to Charles F. Alter-
mann and Aaron Suhler.
Altermann's name was associated with the Texas Volksblatt
until it was sold in January, 1889, to Dietzel Brothers, publishers
of the Texas Post, which had been moved from Galveston to
Dallas in October, 1887. When the Post was returned to Galves-
ton in 1891, Altermann re-established his newspaper under the
name Nord-Texas Presse, which he continued to edit and publish
in Dallas until his death on November 16, 1913.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954, periodical, 1954; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101152/m1/534/: accessed May 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.