The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955 Page: 92
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
port, is said to share the distinction with Pecan Point, also in
Red River County, of being the first Anglo-American settlement
in Texas. Jonesborough took its name from Henry Jones who
hunted on the Red River as early as 1815. The first Americans
to live at Pecan Point were a dozen or more fugitives from justice
who were there in the summer of 1811. A permanent settlement
was begun in 1816.
Curious happenings, local customs, and climate contributed to
the naming of settlements. When the well water contained too
much iron and sulphur and each family had to set up a cistern,
Cockrill became Cistern (Fayette County). Early settlers found
an Indian blanket near the site of Blanket (Brown County).
Earth (Lamb County) resulted because of a sandstorm in prog-
ress when the postoffice was established in 1925. The name Dub-
lin (Erath County), originally spelled Doublin, derived from the
cry "Double-in" which announced Indian raids. Cologne (Goliad
County), a negro settlement and cattle shipping point, was "such
a sweet-smelling place."
Cooncan, a Mexican gambling game, became Concan (Uvalde
County). While Cothran's Store (Lamar County) was named for
an early family, it was usually known as Tigertown or "Tige"
for a circus poster in the saloon. A Pullman car, housing part of
the railroad construction crew, was responsible for Pullman (Pot-
ter County). The inhabitants of Ragtown (Garza County) used
tents for homes. Every yard in Rosebud (Falls County) is said
to maintain the tradition of having at least one rosebush. Mex-
ican laborers in R. H. Walker's gin and grist mill, unable to
"sabe" his instructions, named Sava (Van Zandt County).
A "landslide," resulting from a survey in 1903 which caused
nearly 2oo sections of Block Twenty to be located almost two
miles farther west than they were thought to be when first settled,
made it necessary for all settlers and two schools to "slide" over
to Slide (Lubbock County). A local wit named Slocum (Ander-
son County) because of the delay in securing a postoffice. Town-
site optimists thought they "needed more" settlers, hence Need-
more (Bailey County). Necessity (Stephens County) seems aptly
named. Ranchers who settled there during the Civil War and
Reconstruction Period next experienced the drought of 1866.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955, periodical, 1955; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101158/m1/113/: accessed May 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.