The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955 Page: 194
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
without a turn. The east line was 275 miles long, and line-riders
watched 575 miles of outside fence." Four wires were hung on
100,000 posts, and the top wire, for most of its length, was
equipped with telephones. By 1890 there were 335 windmills, 1oo
dams, and earthen tanks sufficient to supply comfortably 150,000
The syndicate was unlucky with the first local manager, who
employed and encouraged bad men. After the first all subsequent
managers were powerful influences in maintaining good order
and encouraging honesty and efficiency. The last cattle were sold
from the XIT in 1912. "For more than a quarter of a century
this institution, often represented by 150 bow-legged, dust-be-
grimed riders of the plains fought for law and order."
"The XIT Ranch was an institution of law." In 1912 a new
period began when the owners turned to settlement of the land
with smaller ranchmen and more prosaic farmers. Viewed com-
prehensively, the ranching period has a right to be proud of its
historical record. Relations of XIT with the state in fulfillment
of its contract were highminded and honorable and admirable.
Members of the corporation included John V. Farwell, principal
director for the ranch, and Charles B. Farwell, who was con-
veniently a United States Senator from Illinois in 1911, when his
brother John was able to induce President Taft to favor Texas,
and the Syndicate, in a boundary dispute with New Mexico in
which New Mexico claimed a portion of the Panhandle measur-
ing 310 miles by half a mile wide.
Management of the land after settlement began was equally
honorable, and humane, due perhaps in this case to the admin-
istration of Judge James D. Hamlin.
Besides details of routine life on the ranch, there are intensely
interesting background chapters on Spanish exploration of the
West, traces of Spanish life in the Panhandle, and on early ranches
in the Panhandle-Plains country in days of the open range, before
the coming of the XIT.
Readers will be grateful to Mr. Haley and to the Oklahoma
Press for reviving this fascinating book-long a collector's item.
It is admirable through Mr. Haley's unmatched and phenomenal
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955, periodical, 1955; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101158/m1/215/: accessed July 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.