The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955 Page: 330
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
sonality, was to conclude that the Baron was a fraud and had done
more harm than the meanest of men.
On January 25, 1804, Bastrop sold his plantation to Morhouse.
The rest of that year he seems to have spent most of his time
putting his affairs in order so that he could take advantage of the
offer made by the Spanish government to those inhabitants of
Louisiana who wished to move to Texas. He made several deeds
to his early settlers in July, 1805.35
In September of 1805, accompanied by his friend Mordecai
Richards, Bastrop entered Nacogdoches with a passport from Casa
Calvo. Traveling like a true baron, with three slaves and a French
servant, he proceeded to San Antonio to begin a new phase of
his life.86 Fifteen more years were to pass before Moses Austin and
the Baron were to meet in San Antonio on a December day in
1820 and set in motion the Anglo-American colonization of Texas.
S5Senate Executive Documents, 32nd Cong., 2nd Sess. (Serial No. 661), Document
No. 4, pp. 62-63, 73-74, 75, 546-547, 764-765-
36R. W. Moore, "The Role of the Baron de Bastrop in the Anglo-American
Settlement of the Spanish Southwest," Louisiana Historical Quarterly, XXXI, 632.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955, periodical, 1955; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101158/m1/397/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.