The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955 Page: 447
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
established on the Rio Grande in 1810, midway between Laredo
and Presidio Rio Grande, was projected at the same time; and
the neighboring province of Nuevo Santander (now Tamaulipas)
co-operated by extending to Juan Jose de la Garza Montemayor of
Camargo, and members of his family, titles to twenty square
leagues of land fronting on the Nueces above the crossing of the
La Bahia road at Santa Margarita. De la Garza Montemayor estab-
lished a fortified rancho, later called Casa Blanca, in the north-
eastern corner of his uppermost grant. Nuevo Santander also
extended titles to the twenty leagues fronting on the Nueces below
Paso de Santa Margarita to Vicente Lopez de Herrera of Reynosa
and members of his family, for occupation in similar strength.
Santa Margarita, where the road from the lower Rio Grande to
La Bahia crossed the Nueces, was already occupied by the redoubt-
able Martin de Le6n, late of Burgos, who has established a rancho
on the Texas side of the Nueces.
Settlers for the San Marcos colony were recruited at Congre-
gaci6n de Nuestra Sefiora del Refugio, in Nuevo Santander, now
Tamaulipas, on the present site of Matamoros, where Felipe
Roque de la Portilla, to whom Cordero had entrusted the San
Marcos settlement, had made his home. The Spaniards of New
Spain were too gregarious for pioneers; but De la Portilla suc-
ceeded with them to the extent that the new villa of San Marcos,
located on the San Marcos River, eight miles above the later site
of Gonzales, had eighty-two inhabitants by the census of July 12,
18o9. Suffering as it did from forays of hostile Indians, losses of
cattle in transit from the Rio Grande, and disastrous and wholly
unexpected floods, the settlers became too discouraged to sustain
themselves after Cordero's return to Coahuila; and during the
"unsettled times," beginning with the "grito" of Hidalgo, re-
turned to their former homes. Felipe Roque de la Portilla settled
once more at Congregaci6n del Refugio on the Rio Grande, and
remained there until again uprooted by the marriage of his
daughter, Dolores, to James Power, on July 3, 1832. Power's con-
tract required that his empresa should be settled half by Mexican
families and half by Irish Catholics, and in recruiting Mexican
families De la Portilla took the lead. His influence with the col-
onists and with the Mexican authorities was tremendously impor-
tant to Power, and was always exercised for good.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, July 1954 - April, 1955, periodical, 1955; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101158/m1/516/: accessed April 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.