The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956 Page: 251
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
supervising professor wisely suggested the Spanish Archives of
the General Land Office, a subject that needed to be written and
one Mrs. Taylor was certainly qualified to do. In final form the
thesis was of real historical interest and deserved more than just
to remain on a library shelf to collect dust. Conferring again
with her thesis supervisor, Mrs. Taylor, then the Spanish trans-
lator for the Bexar Archives in the Eugene C. Barker Texas His-
tory Center at the University of Texas, undertook the arduous
task of privately printing her book. The result is such that Texas
historians and lovers of fine Texas books will be pleased.
The Spanish Archives is a beautiful book bound in red with
gold lettering. From cover to cover the printing has been done
in perfect taste. Ten illustrations in the book have to do with
particularly significant land grants; the title page, done in color,
has the seal of the state and the six flags of Texas. At the back of
the book is a valuable map of Texas in 1836, showing empresario
grants from 1823 to 1835. The edition has been limited to three
hundred copies, and this piece of Texana should become a col-
lector's item within a short time.
DORMAN H. WINFREY
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956, periodical, 1956; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101162/m1/277/: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.