The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956 Page: 498
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
A Note oa the karkcr Zexas Iistory Cewter
WILLIAM J. BATTLE
OFFICIALLY named The Eugene C. Barker Texas History
Center, after the famous Texas historian, this building is
frequently called the Old Library. Built for the Univer-
sity Library in g 91o and used also for administrative offices, it
was presently outgrown and the books transferred to their present
home in 1932. The Old Library was used for some years by the
Department of Fine Arts, then in 1950 remodeled as the Univer-
sity home of Texas and Southwest History. There are treasured
our Texas and Southwest books and archives, there are provided
facilities for the study of our past. There, too, are the headquar-
ters of the Texas State Historical Association, an organization
since its establishment closely connected with the University. This
collection, says the Barker Center Leaflet, was dedicated to locate
on the campus of the University "a corner forever Texas."
The corner-stone of the original building is at the north-east
T. M. Campbell, Governor
Board of Regents
T. S. Henderson, Chairman
G. W. Brackenridge, Vice-chairman
T. B. Greenwood
A. W. Terrell
A. W. Fly
W. A. Johnson
W. T. Henry
Cass Gilbert, Architect
James Stewart and Co., Contractors
The present use of the building is set out by a bronze tablet on
the east front, duplicated on the north.
The plan of the building is simple-two rectangles. The larger,
which contains the public rooms of the Center, fronts east on the
Main Building Terrace. The smaller, which was designed mainly
for a bookstack, runs to the west. The east section, reminiscent of
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956, periodical, 1956; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101162/m1/526/?rotate=270: accessed July 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.