The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956 Page: 501
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
Besides the manuscripts the archives include many objects of
historic interest. Among them stands out the first Faculty and
Regents meeting table. A label sets out its history:
Around this table the University Faculty held its meetings from
early days until the Faculty grew too large and was compelled to
move to a class-room. The table was used also for meetings of the
Board of Regents, first in the Main Building, then in the south-
western part of the basement of the Old Library until Sutton Hall
was completed in 1918. Many scenes momentous in the life of the
University has this table witnessed. The most dramatic and far-
reaching in its consequences was the attack made in person by Gov-
ernor James E. Ferguson October 1o, 1916, on certain members of
the Faculty whom he disliked.
For the use of those sitting around the table were provided walnut
arm-chairs, upholstered in red leather.
Bronze tablets-East and North Sides:
The Eugene C. Barker
The Texas State
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 59, July 1955 - April, 1956, periodical, 1956; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101162/m1/533/: accessed December 14, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.