The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 107
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
1839, reported a bill setting apart three leagues of land for a
primary school or academy in each county, and twenty leagues
for the establishment of two colleges or universities, one to be in
Eastern and the other in Western Texas. After having been
amended so that the amount of land was raised to fifty leagues
and a clause relative to the location of the colleges or univer-
sities was stricken out, the bill was approved by the governor,
January 26, 1839. The second of these amendments was after-
wards adduced as evidence that the legislature meant the two
institutions to be not one for each of two different sections, but
one for each sex.
Meanwhile a bill for the location of the capital of Texas had
been approved on January 14. It provided for the appointment
of commissioners to choose the site and of an agent to have the
prospective city-which was to be named Austin-laid off and
to attend to the sale of the most eligible lots for various public
buildings, one of which was a university. The agent appointed
was Judge Edwin Waller. The site was selected and the city laid
off in the summer of 1839. As the map made by one of the sur-
veyors who did the work indicates, the university reservation
was the block west of Rio Grande street and south of Twelfth,
on which now stands the Pease school. The block immediately
north of it, which is still vacant, was reserved for an academy.
On the map Twelfth street appears as "College avenue"; and
by this name it was known until the original designation of the
streets running east and west were changed to numbers. When
and why the present campus was substituted for the Pease school
block as the site of the projected University, I have not been
able to ascertain; but it was by no means an undesirable ex-
On March 30, 1881, there was finally approved an act for
the organization of the University. It provided that the insti-
tution should be located by a vote of the people of the State
-the medical branch to be separate from the main branch,
if they so desired-and that its establishment should be commit-
ted to a board of regents appointed by the governor, who was to
convene the board for its own organization within thirty days
after the location of the University should have been determined.
This act followed, in its general outlines, the recommenda-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/120/: accessed January 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.