The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 123
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
Old Aarriage /ook: eCxaa
Edited, with an introduction by,
CATHERINE YOUNG CLACK
NE will not find Texana on current maps, yet it was
once part and parcel of the Republic of Texas. Texana
lay in Stephen F. Austin's original grant and served
as the county seat of Jackson County from 1835 until 1883.
Then the new trains rattling across the prairie seven miles to
the north of Count Joseph Telferner's "Macaroni Line" of the
Texas and New Orleans Railroad sounded its death knell.
Currently it is truly a ghost town that lives only in the mem-
ory of the oldest grandsires. They speak of it with the rapt,
secret smile of those who remember old loves: they tell of the
grand excitement that flashed through the town when the mail
packet from Indianola warped up to the pier with a week's sup-
ply of cargo and passengers and news of the outside world; they
tell of the stirring times when court was in session; they dwell
upon the gay times of parties and weddings and shivarees.
But of all this, not a trace remains. The wharf, the houses
and churches and stores and the courthouse might never have
been. Even the streets that crossed and re-crossed each other
where the Elizabeth McNutt and F. F. Wells surveys met on the
Navidad River have not left a scar, for Nature has long since
reclaimed its own.
Once again the tangle of moss-hung trees meets over the deep
and dark green Navidad; from its banks on either side spread
the wild palmetto and scrub brush, crowding each other for
the sun that comes thinly through the sinuous canopy of Mus-
tang grapevines overhead. There is no stately monument to
call to the living; no cemetery to mark the final resting place
of those long dead.
Only the records remain, and these may be seen in the present
courthouse of the county seat at Edna. There are deed books
that spell out in strange Spanish measures the old Mexican land
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/136/?rotate=90: accessed May 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.