The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 164
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
though perhaps any agency would be pleased to find itself with
additional funds so as to be able to expand some parts of its
Four more past presidents of the Association are pictured in
this issue of the Quarterly.
Earl Vandale, collector of Texana and southwestern Ameri-
cana, was the Association's president from 1949 to 1951. Leaving
a school teaching position in West Virginia, Vandale became as-
sociated with the oil industry and in 1923 came to the High
Plains of Texas. He was a student of Texas history and the Plains,
and under the auspices of the Panhandle-Plains Historical So-
ciety he established the Vandale Historical Writing Contest. For
a quarter of a century Vandale collected books relating to his
adopted state, and in 1948 the Vandale Collection was acquired
by the University of Texas to be housed permanently in the
Barker Texas History Center.
W. E. Wrather, president of the Association from 1932 to
1939, has been widely known as a petroleum geologist. Trained
at the University of Chicago, Southern Methodist University, and
the Colorado School of Mines, Wrather served for a number
of years as a consulting petroleum geologist. During World
War II he served on the Board of Economic Warfare, and in
1943 he became director of the United States Geological Survey.
Wrather has served on a number of scientific commissions, pub-
lished many articles relating to geology, and has been associate
editor of Economic Geology.
From 1929 to 1932 Dr. Alex Dienst served as Association
president. A dentist by profession, Dr. Dienst became an en-
thusiastic student of Texas history and a collector of books and
source materials dealing particularly with the Texas Revolution.
His study of the Texas Navy appeared in the Quarterly, XII and
XIII, and his collection of "Contemporary Poetry of the Texas
Revolution," compiled mainly from Texas and New Orleans
newspapers, was also published in the Quarterly, XXI. Much of
his collection of Texana became, appropriately, a part of the
library of the University of Texas.
T F. Harwood served as president of the Association from
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/181/: accessed June 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.