The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 419
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
the spacing of the printed matter on the page was done with
As a Texas historian, this reviewer is grateful to Mr. Streeter
and his associates for this Bibliography of Texas.
SEYMOUR V. CONNOR
Texas Technological College
A History of Young County, Texas. By Carrie J. Crouch. Volume
II of Texas County and Local History Series. Austin (Texas
State Historical Association), 1956. Pp. xiv+326. Map, illus-
trations, index. $5.oo.
"The more I went over the past of Young County," writes the
author, "the larger the county became. Something seemed to have
happened on every foot of its nine hundred square miles." And
she might have added that something interesting took place on
just about every day of every year of the more than a century that
civilized men have known the country where the Clear Fork joins
At the routine task of creating counties, the legislature of Texas
could hardly keep up with the sturdy families of the 185o's who
crept up the Trinity, made their way over to the Brazos, and fol-
lowed it and its tributaries through the Cross Timbers to start
settlement in the counties of Erath, Eastland, Parker, Palo Pinto,
Stephens, Jack, and Young. Emigration to the country that later
became Young County was hastened by the federal post of Fort
Belknap, located on the Brazos near present Newcastle, in 1851.
Some of the officers and men brought their families; a few settlers
gathered around the fort; and, although the protection offered
against marauding Indians was more psychological than real, here
and there ranchmen and farmers started homes. Later an Indian
reservation was planted near by and the military were baffled by
a double task, that of protecting the white people from the In-
dians and the Indians from the white people.
Soon all trails of North Texas led to Young County. Expedi-
tions, whether military or civil, were channeled through it; it was
the gateway to the wild and unknown country; it was out where
the frontier began; and in it was embodied in a special way the
soul of the American West of the mid-nineteenth century.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/454/: accessed August 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.