The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 520
RVotes ald DocmeCts
Amso oyes: Alaster of Harrington
An Address at the Dedication of the Anson Jones House, March 2, 1956
B EGINNING about 182o, Texas became a powerful magnet, at-
tracting all sorts and conditions of men from the United
States and abroad. It was a land of beginning again, a place
where men could attain status denied them elsewhere. In fifteen
years these men transformed this neglected Mexican frontier into
a sovereign republic, and ten years later they merged it with the
United States. And as they enhanced the status of their region,
the men themselves grew in stature and capacities.
Such a man was Anson Jones, who built this house while he
was president of the Republic of Texas. In 1833 when he drifted
into Texas to practice medicine, he had no desire for a political
career; indeed, he had no interest in politics. But circumstances
made him an actor in a momentous drama as the Republic of
Texas was being born, and until the end of the Republic he was
a public figure of stellar importance, performing services few
other Texans were competent to undertake.
As modest, reticent Doctor Jones became successively a private
in the Texas Army, congressman, minister to the United States,
senator, secretary of state, and president, he became convinced
that "the destiny of Texas was interwoven with my own, that they
were indissoluble, and that the one depended materially upon the
other." No other man was so continuous a factor in the foreign
relations of the Republic and none played so crucial a part in
bringing Texas into the United States. He was given the title
of "Architect of Annexation."
Anson Jones was born at Great Barrington, Massachusetts, on
January 2o, 1798, the thirteenth child of Solomon Jones, a farmer
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/560/ocr/: accessed September 27, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.