The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957 Page: 577
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
church life in America is related in the account of the Frauen-
verein, the oldest continuously active organization in the con-
gregation, being organized in 1892.
The first forty-four pages sketch clearly many interesting high-
lights in the history of the church. The founder of New Braunfels,
Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, was a devout Roman Catholic.
He was charged by the regulations of the German Emigration
Company to provide for the establishment of churches and
schools. Faithfully, he carried out his duty. Even while in camp
at Port Lavaca the Protestant German settlers enjoyed divine
services conducted by "the Rev. Ervendberg of the Protestant
faith." The Pilgrims at Plymouth had their starving time, and
the German settlers in Texas also had a difficult time adjusting
to the new climate and diseases, as well as dealing with the
Indians. The extent of the hardships will be understood by the
fact that the church and pastor were almost immediately forced
to care for and teach several orphans. The pastor tilled his own
fields, taught, and ministered to near-by congregations. Three
hundred dollars was the most paid a pastor during the 1850's, the
funds being raised largely from dues of two dollars a year.
The congregation has been served by a large number of well-
trained pastors. When L. C. Ervendberg became head of the
Western Texas Orphan Asylum in 1851, he was succeeded by
Gustav Eisenlohr from Loerrach, Germany. He stayed until 1857
when he was called to Cincinnati, Ohio. Pastor August Schuchard
began compiling the registry of 535 pioneer families which has
been preserved in three volumes. The cornerstone of the present
church was laid in 1875, at the close of the Reconstruction era.
During all of the years of slow development, struggling against
disease, war, and military government, the congregation was held
together by strong pastors and strong laymen, none of whom was
more devoted than Hermann Seele. He was church secretary from
1845 to 1902. During the intervals between pastors, Seele in-
structed the confirmation classes and conducted divine services.
In appreciation of his work the parish house bears his name.
Financial conditions improved by 1888 and funds were raised
to begin the bell tower. All of the church ordinances were pub-
lished. On the eve of the depression in 1893 the interior was
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 60, July 1956 - April, 1957, periodical, 1957; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101163/m1/627/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.